Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Just Another Thursday, Part 2

Good Evening all,
Last night I posted a story about the pro's and con's of working on Thanksgiving.  I wrote it after seeing on the news that Kmart is opening up at 6:00 am on Thanksgiving morning.  I was at work today, the background noise was creeping into my head, and I heard on the news, another story about stores on Thanksgiving.  It appears that more retail outlets will be opening earlier than ever on this once sacred holiday.

I work in the Human Services field, and working on the holidays has been a part of my entire adult life.  My guys do not become magically competent to be alone, because there is a holiday.  They need our care, and I can honestly say that in the last 25 years, I have never worked with anyone who was forced to be there, that day, or Christmas, for that matter.  There is usually a diverse age and family status among the group home employees.  This allows anyone who really wants to work(double time pay) the chance to make a few extra dollars.

Increasing sarcasm here....But that cannot be, Gil.  The country is in such a boom right now, that hardly anyone needs to work an extra day if they choose. Business are doing so good, why would they need to destroy an American family tradition.  Its raining high paying good jobs... stopping sarcasm now.... I have other family that also works in the medical field, and nurses are needed in hospitals.  But, these are retail stores.  I ask you, do you need that cheap chinese toy on Thanksgiving?  Are you really so addicted to the "holiday shopping" experience, that you will be lining the stores on Thanksgiving? Really?

I am a little irked at these mega corporations that feel nothing towards their core employees.  If you force people to work retail, they will not be happy, that will clearly be passed on to the people who are in the store, and that will not be good for anyone.  Let people volunteer, some may want to work, instead of sitting at the table and hearing drunk Aunt Muriel ramble on about that trip to Everglades last summer.  I am well aware that the economy sucks, just look out the window.  If these stores need to open their doors on just another Thursday, that is their right to do so.  I also am not going to frequent any stores, as usual on Thanksgiving, that is my right.

As a matter of fact, my brother and I were having this conversation last year at this time.  I predicted that within 4 years, the once sacred holiday, Thanksgiving would be taken over by retail.  To his credit, my brother said "a couple of years".  Once again, Gitmo Glen pretty much nails it.  What a sad reality.  My question to you is, how many years until Christmas is just another day too?  

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only moderate to prevent spamming.