Friday, September 20, 2013

They can put a man on the moon, but....

Is this content? Is this advertising?  These days that line has been crossed, and it is meant to confuse us.  There use to be break from a television program or news channel which would denote the time for a commercial.  The television networks are very aware of "time shifting" and "on demand" viewing.  To combat that growing trend, the advertisers have been, and are doing more and more, in programming advertising. Here is one I came across this morning.  You tell me, is this news, or advertising? 




CNN has been on the decline for years, and this is just one more example of why that downward trend is continuing.  This is not to say that the other news networks are doing the same, but this is so in your face, it is disgusting.  I made the choice 6 years ago to cut the cord.  I refuse to pay the cable companies for the hundred channels I do not want, just for the privilege of watching the handful I like.  I chose instead to use the Roku box, and have never looked back. I watch what I want, when I want, with NO COMMERCIALS. I have been over at the homes of some friends and they will channel surf, and invariably I will hear this "there's nothing on".  How insane is that?  They are paying anywhere form $80 to $150 a month for this.  


Kevin Spacey nailed it.  The old model for the cable companies is ebbing away.  I am reminded of the famous line on Seinfeld by George Costanza, " they can put a man on the moon".  I have been saying this for years about the cable tv industry.  There is no reason that a subscriber should not pay for JUST the channels they want.

I challenge you dear reader, take the plunge, cut the cord!!!

Beware...

At first there will some minor withdrawal, there will some silence in your home, because instead of having that background noise you are use to, you will forced to talk to your spouse, talk to your kids, read a book, and lets not forget,you will not have to listen to those inane commercials.

 If you choose a Roku, you will be talking about it to your friends, and your enemies. Every one of them will probably ask the same question. What the hell is a Roku?  Your face will light up, you will tell them, and there will be that hint, that subtle hint from them that they are missing out on something cool.  When you tell them that they will save over $1000 a year, that is the jaw dropping moment.

I have personally "converted" about 10 people to the Roku. Not one of them has regretted it. Just sayin....

From Gitmo Nation,
Gitmo Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only moderate to prevent spamming.