Thursday, September 19, 2013

I know there are good ones... but, WTF is going on here?



Toledo is a crazy town, this cop is out of control.

I awoke this morning to the heartwarming story of Glen James.  He is the homeless man who turned in a backpack with over $40,000 in cash and traveler's checks.  As of this writing there is over $92,000 in a fund set up by Ethan Whittington.  Call me jaded, call me a cynic, but I believe that the person who lost this backpack was better off having it found by a homeless person rather than the police.

I am reminded of the story of Ritchie Roberts.  He was the police officer who found almost $1 million dollars in the trunk of a car. When he turned in ALL the money he was ostracized, ridiculed, ignored, and look at by his fellow officers as a "bad guy". Why, you ask?
Many police officers believe that they do a thankless job, work ungodly hours for little pay, and get no recognition for their duty.  Ritchie Roberts' partner wanted his "taste" of the money.  He held a grudge against Ritchie for the rest of his life.  Many other police officers all made it clear that they would not work with him, he was too honest.  That says it all.  I know for a fact that there are many great police officers who try their best to do the right thing. Sadly, there are many who really do believe that if they come across undocumented cash, they deserve their taste.

In the end, it really is better that a homeless man found the backpack.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I only moderate to prevent spamming.