Sunday, January 19, 2014

Really Comcast/Kabletown, Really?

This morning I had the very very unfortunate task of hooking up the new Technicolor Modem/Router from Comcast/Kabletown.  I did this at a friends house, and I am not a newbie in the world of Internet technology.  I want to share the order in which this happened.

1. My friend who is not at all tech savvy received an unsolicited phone call from Comcast/Kabletown.  They promised great download speeds, HBO free for a year, with no raise in her cable bill. She currently has the "triple play" bundle, with a monthly cost around $180/mo.

2.  The salesman on the phone told her, easy, just attach the cable and off to the races, nothing else to do. Sounds awesome, huh?

3. That was not the case. The modem/router came with its new SSID and Network Key.  In order to change that, she needed to know her original Comcast login and pw.  Since the Comcast techs did all the set up when she moved, she did not have this info at the ready. This is what leads me to this rant today.

Comcast/Kabletown is a huge mega corporation that owns NBC for gosh sakes.  It is reported that 95% of a monthly cable bill is pure profit for Comcast/Kabletown.    I am not a financial guy, but they make billions every year. Feel free to analyze this report.

Now to the RANT

When I called Comcast/Kabletown tech support to retrieve this information the tech support guy "Michael" was in the Philippines. It was virtually impossible to understand what he was saying, I asked him to repeat every sentence at least 3 times.  It was especially difficult when he was trying to express alpha numeric strings of information. Here is the kicker, every bit of information he gave me to finish the task was WRONG.  Sensing that he had nothing to help me he gave me another number to call, Comcast Signature Tech Support.  What a load of crap.

My ladyfriend called Comcast/Kabletown to retrieve her original information and I could hear her asking repeatedly asking again and again to repeat what the guy on the other end was saying.  She said he sound like he was from Pakistan or another middle east country.

Hey Comcast/Kabletown, I know that every company is trying to save a few bucks, but how about making a few call centers in the good old USA?  You might have read that our unemployment is at 23% and rising.

If Comcast/Kabletown opened tech support in the USA how much would that effect their bottom line?  Instead of 95 cents profit from every dollar, would that drop to 92 cents?  Just think about the incredible amount of good press and good will from the American people if you invested in AMERICA instead of the Philippines? I guess Comcast?Kabletown is will use the standard "for the good of our shareholders" bullshit to make it ok.

I am sure some analyst in the accounting dept at Comcast?Kabletown  did a cost analysis report and concurred that they would save blah, blah, blah having their call centers in India, Philippines, Pakistan, etc, but how about some pride in the USA?

This is the crime folks.  What happened to investing in America, put some people to work HERE. We sure need it.  Start a trend for once Comcast/Kabletown, do something that is RIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only moderate to prevent spamming.